Applications open: FYLPRO 2022 Tayo Fellowship Program
FYLPRO Tayo Fellowship Program
Tayo is seeking its third cohort of fellows to support the ongoing operations of the Tayo help desk platform and the upcoming launch of its Tayo call center. The fellowship is a virtual program and will run from June 5 – August 22, 2022. We are unable to offer monetary compensation at the moment, but please see the below list of other benefits this position offers.
Why Join Us?
FYLPRO is looking for dynamic content creators who want to focus their talents to help the Filipino American community navigate the COVID-19 health crisis.
In October 2020, FYLPRO launched a web help desk, “Tayo” designed for seniors, unemployed individuals, and front line workers with information to make decisions to safeguard their health and well being during the pandemic. Firmly believing that we are the agents of change, and the custodians of our own community, FYLPRO mobilized experts, content creators, and service providers in the areas of medicine and medical research, mental health, government assistance and response, transportation, and social services to provide credible, timely, and community-specific information.
Since the Fall of 2020, previous FYLPRO Tayo Fellows collectively engaged in the following projects:
- Researched and authored over 500+ articles on Tayohelp.com website
- Developed assets and executed social media campaigns on Tayo’s multiple platforms
- Produced a range of short to long-form culturally-relevant videos
- Conducted environmental scan of Filipino American organizations and initiatives in the Greater Los Angeles area
- Conducted interviews to identify needs of Filipino Americans during COVID-19
- Produced interactive community event, “Together sa Tayo” to bring together Filipino Americans during COVID-19
- Presented at National Council on Mental Wellbeing’s Annual Conference
- Supported Tayo COVID-19 Vaccine Survey Design & Webinar Dissemination Efforts
- Curated a viral dance video for the Department of Health & Human Services
- Curated COVID-19 PSAs for the Filipino community in English & Tagalog
- Participated in leadership sessions with FYLPRO alumni, discussing topics such as:
- Combating Misinformation with Leezel Tanglao
- Self-Care is Community Care with Krystle Canare & TJ Simba-Medel
- Navigating the Workplace as a Pinay with Anna Marie Cruz, Lauren Lalicon, Ryann Tanap, Jessica Velasco
- Graduate School: The Decision, Application & Lessons Learned with Melissa Dargan, Brian Tajo, Christal Simanski, Earl Valencia
- Leveraging Your Community Experience in the Job-Search Process with Frederick Docdocil and Philjay Solar
As someone who cares about the Filipino American community, you want to empower seniors, unemployed individuals, and frontline workers with the information they need to safeguard their health and well being. You are frustrated with the misinformation, and lack of relevant updates and trustworthy information that directly impacts the Filipino American community.
About the Role
As a Tayo Fellow, your goal will be to create relevant information to help Filipino Americans safeguard their health, well being, and economic security during the pandemic. You will play the vital role of identifying important information and creating content that makes it understandable, accessible, and actionable for our target population- Filipino seniors and their caregivers, unemployed Filipinos, and Filipino frontline workers.
A panel of subject experts, and recognized leaders in their respective fields, will advise you on pertinent developments, and guide you to where you can seek resources. They will review your work and provide you with feedback.
You will specialize in two or more of the following areas:
- Health, Mental Health and Wellness
- Medical Advancements and Practical Research related to COVID-19
- Government Assistance and Benefits
- Small Business Assistance
- Immigration and Travel
- Mobility, Transportation, and Home Service/Delivery
- Safety and Transmission Prevention
On a weekly basis you will:
- Identify credible sources of information such as policy think tanks, government agencies, professional and industry associations, business associations, and social service providers.
- Attend and participate in information sessions, webinars, and briefings to gather relevant information and updates and summarize the findings;
- Proactively track developments in the subject area for which you are responsible
- You will write short and long form content weekly
- Attend a weekly coordination meeting, and bi-weekly 1:1 editorial meetings
- Estimated 3-5 hours per week
- Policy or public health research experience
- Ability to write for Limited English proficiency populations
- Short form video editing and production skills
- Familiarity or proximity to the Los Angeles Community is a plus
How might you benefit from participating?
As a writer and content creator, you want to hone your skills, by working with leaders in media, technologists, and subject matter experts. You have an interest in deepening your knowledge by working directly with experts in the fields of Medicine and Medical Research; Mental Health; Government Assistance; Law and Policy; Transportation, Travel, and Mobility; and Social Services for Senior citizens. Beyond the COVID-19 crisis, you will have, through FYLPRO, a network of young Filipino professionals who are well positioned in their respective fields, and want to help you navigate your career, by connecting you with mentors, and advocates for you.
In addition, other benefits will include: sponsorship to membership of a professional association of your choice, opportunity to publish and write for the FYLPRO website and contribute to the final published article of project findings.
You will also have an opportunity to connect with FYLPRO’s membership which includes a network of Filipinos who are leaders in their respective fields. You can learn more about the FYLPRO COVID response team here: http://fylpro.org/covidresponseteam/
For students at education institutions, we would be happy to sponsor field study units. Please consult with your academic advisor prior to applying for this program, to see if it qualifies for units at your institution of learning.
Questions? Contact Krystle Canare, FYLPRO Fellowship Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Due 5/18/2022 at 11:59pm ET