Back to home


I'm a homeowner. Can I get foreclosure protection?

If you are unable to make mortgage payments as required and negotiate with your lender, you can obtain government assistance. Here are some of the resources that may be available to you:

  • The Homeownership Preservation Foundation is a national nonprofit organization approved by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that offers free advice and assistance with helping you keep your home or getting out safely.

Their hotline is 1-888-995-HOPE (1-888-995-4673) or 711 for persons with hearing impairment. More than 170 languages are offered through the hotline including Tagalog and English.

  • You can also find foreclosure avoidance counseling from HUD housing counseling agencies located in California. You can call US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) interactive voice system at (800)-569-4287.
  • If you have an FHA loan, call the FHA National Servicing Center at 1-877-622-8525
This article was written and edited by the Tayo editorial desk and has been reviewed by an independent panel of subject matter experts.

Learn more

Related articles