Back to home

Legal and Government

My unemployment benefits were frozen because I was a fraud victim. What do I do?

If your unemployment benefits have been frozen as a result of being a victim of fraud, you are not alone.

About 693,000 Californians’ benefits were suspended in a recent Employment Development Department (EDD) fraud prevention effort according to a strike report as reported by LAist.

Here’s what you need to do get your benefits restored, according to the EDD:

  1. If someone has fraudulently filed an Unemployment claim in your name, submit a fraud reporting form here. You can call the EDD Fraud Hotline at 1-800-229-6297 (for reporting fraud only) or fax 1-866-340-5484.
  2. Send any fraudulent documents or mail to EDD PO Box 826880, MIC 43, Sacramento, CA 94280-0225.

For more guidance, go to: Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles

This article was written and edited by the Tayo editorial desk and has been reviewed by an independent panel of subject matter experts.

Learn more