The COVID-19 pandemic may have disrupted our plans to meet our loved ones in person, but it should never deter you from finding things that give you purpose and joy even in these uncertain times.
Here are some of the things you can consider doing while you are advised to stay home and reduce visits from family and friends:
- Pick up a new hobby or skill. Now is the best time to learn something new, and find ways to fill your time at home through meaningful activity. Anything you can think of learning already has a video tutorial on YouTube. This will also be a great opportunity to meet new friends with the same hobbies who can encourage you to keep going when you encounter a setback in gaining new skills.
- Stay healthy and active. Exercise decreases stress, increases your energy levels, and boosts your mood.
- Volunteer. Find an organization to mentor or a young person with whom you can impart knowledge from your career or field of expertise.
- Establish regular communication with your loved ones. Social distancing does not mean you have to miss important occasions such as birthdays and holidays.
- Consider adopting a pet. Animals are great domestic companions and a source of comfort, which can lead to lower levels of stress and blood pressure.
For more guidance, go to: NIA