There are many benefits of getting a flu vaccine this season, especially during the current COVID-19 pandemic. Although the flu vaccine does not protect from COVID-19, there are many benefits to getting a flu vaccine such as:
- Flu vaccination reduces the risk of getting the seasonal flu and hospitalization caused by the flu.
- It can preserve healthcare resources for patients with COVID-19.
The flu and COVID-19 are both contagious, respiratory illnesses. However, they are caused by different viruses. Although symptoms of the flu and COVID-19 may be similar, they also have important differences:
- COVID-19 appears to spread more easily than the flu.
- Additionally, it may take longer for people infected with COVID-19 to show symptoms and they may be contagious longer.
- Importantly, there is a readily available vaccine to prevent the flu. For COVID-19, there are vaccines that have been granted Emergency Use Authorization by the FDA which will be made available to the general U.S. public at a date yet to be announced. The best way to prevent infection is by avoiding exposure.
For more information, go to: