Opportunity: Recruiting for Chicago Bayanihan Project Research Community Board Members for Study
The Chicago Bayanihan Project Research (CBPR) is recruiting community board members for its "The Bayanihan Project: Filipinx/a/o Community Networks of Care in COVID-19.”
The Chicago Bayanihan Project Research (CBPR) Community is a collaboration between Northwestern University and FYLPRO (Filipino Young Leaders Program). The CBPR will provide community voices to shape an upcoming study “The Bayanihan Project: Filipinx/a/o Community Networks of Care in COVID-19” to listen to the experiences of Filipino and Filipinx/a/o communities disproportionately affected by COVID-19 in the Chicago area: elderly, healthcare workers, and frontline caregivers.
Filipino and Filipinx/a/o Americans (FilAms) have a higher risk of death from COVID-19 than non-Hispanic Whites and other Asians, as well as chronic disease from heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.
Filipino and Filipinx/a/o-identifying community members will be preferentially recruited. CAB members may include community members, representatives from religious communities, or community-based organizations. We also encourage participation from people living with chronic conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and mental health conditions, as well as community leaders, educators, public health professionals, and physicians.
Interested community members should complete an application which will be reviewed by the study team and current SAB co-chairs. All new SAB members will receive orientation and background materials prior to their first meeting.
- Eight community members plus five study team members
- Members meet 4 times per year for 1-2 hours
- Members will be appointed for at least 2 years and may be reappointed until July 2024
- Membership is open to all who complete a CBPR application and orientation by the study team
- Members are no longer active if they miss more than 2 meetings per year
- Active members will receive $50 per meeting ($200 total)
- Although membership is by application, participation in meetings are open to all.
Interested? Fill out an application
Due Feb 21, 2022
More information about CBPR: application information
About the project
Chicago Bayanihan Project Research lead by FYLPRO and Northwestern University
The Bayanihan Project is funded by Northwestern University Alliance for Research in Chicagoland Communities (ARCC).
Study recruitment will be conducted through direct community outreach with:
- Alliance of Filipinos for Immigrant Rights and Empowerment (AFIRE) Chicago
- Philippine Nurses Association of Illinois (PNAI)
- TayoHelp.com, an online platform for trustworthy COVID-19 information in English and Tagalog
Contact information about Chicago Bayanihan Project Research
Melissa Palma, MD, MPH | Study Team Leader
Departments of Family Medicine and Preventive Medicine, Cook County Health
Medical and Public Health Advisor, TayoHelp.com
Afshan Rehman | Research Study Assistant
Center for Community Health
Institute for Public Health & Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine
Contact: (630) 570-1331 | firstname.lastname@example.org