Back to home

Updates and News

I can't pay my rent this month since I lost my job due to COVID-19 closures. What are my options?

If you have been financially affected by COVID-19 and you are unable to pay rent, here are some of the things you can consider:

  • The Centers for Disease Control, state, and county laws have enacted emergency tenant protections to protect your rights as a tenant. These protections protect tenants in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, but it will vary based on where you live.
  • If you have lost your income or are unable to pay your expenses, you have an option to not pay rent. In this case, if you are unable to pay rent, you must submit a declaration to your landlord.
  • You are also encouraged to submit proof of hardship that demonstrates your inability to pay rent. A proof of hardship is a self attestation that shows your reduced income. Examples of proof of hardship are bank statements showing a reduction of income or essential spending and reduced savings.

Please note that rents are not canceled and that once the tenant protections are lifted; any unpaid rent will be due 12 months later.

For more information about tenant protections in LA County, go to the Stay Housed LA website.

This article was written and edited by the Tayo editorial desk and has been reviewed by an independent panel of subject matter experts.

Learn more

Related articles